Brownsburg, Indiana’s initial inhabitant was James B. Brown, a Kentucky citizen, that settled in Brown Township in 1824. At the time the area was thick as well as unbroken wild with only hunters and trappers in the area. Delaware Indians (Lenape) stayed in exactly what is currently Lincoln Township, along White Lick Creek, which was then called Wa-pe-ke-way or “White Salt”.
In 1828, the very first log college home was built in Brown Township. One-room block colleges were constructed every 4 miles (6 kilometers), and everyone in the household except the moms went to college when it was not crop period. The age array in the classroom was from six years to 43 years. Brown Township was separated in 1863, ending up being Brown Township to the north, called after its first homeowner. Lincoln Township was produced to the south, named after President Abraham Lincoln as an indication of support during the Civil War. A stagecoach line was established along a road constructed in 1820 connecting all of the tiny outlying neighborhoods with Indianapolis.
Brownsburg, Ind. was initially called “Harrisburg”, and under the last name was laid out in 1835 by William Harris. The initial post office in town was established as “Brownsburgh” in 1836. The initial church building to be set up in Brownsburg was a log framework built in 1840. From the 1840s to the 1870s, the town virtually tripled in the area, from its initial 6 acres (2.4 ha) to more than 16 acres (6.5 ha). 1848 brought the area’s very first election, with an overall of 10 male ballots cast.
In 1869, the Big Four Railroad opened up a solution to Brownsburg. By 1910, the Interurban was making everyday trips in-between Indianapolis and Crawfordsville, with scheduled per hour stops in Brownsburg.